Vancouver Integral’s Light Studio is seeking an experienced Lighting Designer to join our growing team. We are in search of motivated candidates who understand both the art and the science of lighting design.
The Lighting Designer will work in the Vancouver office primarily on projects in Canada and will assist with projects across North America as required. The Lighting Designer will receive and execute instructions from the Project Manager/Team Leader with supervision to work on various projects and is responsible for directing and supporting Junior Designer within the team.
The Lighting Designer will be responsible for establishing lighting concepts and working collaboratively with our multi-disciplinary team (building performance, electrical and sustainability etc.) and support staff to deliver lighting design documentation from the conceptual phase through to commissioning.
This individual will interact with Architects and Clients under Team Lead supervision with regards to light planning and design to ensure lighting systems are in line with and enhance project vision and goals.
Experience with daylighting design and further interest in developing daylighting skills is essential.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical assistance to the Team Leader/Project Manager as follows:
- Enhancing and fulfilling the vision of projects
- Maintaining a high level of knowledge on current technology, luminaires, controls and manufactures
- Preparing lighting design concepts
- Developing lighting design concepts, creating presentations and sketching visualizations to support concepts
- Creating and revising lighting models/layouts in Revit and AutoCAD
- Preparing lighting simulation models and conducting lighting calculations
- Producing visualizations and renderings using ElumTools/AGI/Radiance, etc.
- Selecting light fixtures and writing luminaire schedules
- Coordinating internally with other disciplines and externally with clients and other consultants
- Reviewing and supervising drafting
- Preparing and reviewing markups
- Designing lighting details
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 5 years full experience in complex interior and exterior light planning and design, with successful completed projects across a range of sectors.
- Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Lighting, Interior Design, theatrical lighting or related field
- Fluency in Revit/BIM and AutoCAD
- High level of experience in Elumtools, AGI32, Dialux, Relux or other light planning software
- Experience in 3D modeling programs (3DMax, Rhino, SketchUp or similar software)
- Proficiency in graphic design and image editing software (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience with Radiance, DIVA-for-Rhino, Honeybee/Ladybug is an asset
- Ability to read Architectural, Structural, Electrical drawings with minimal supervision
- Good knowledge of construction
- Ability to “hand sketch” ideas
- Excellent graphic communication skills
- Ability to present ideas in visualization tools such as photoshop
- Capability to apply prescriptive code, bylaw, specifications requirements
- Proficiency in lighting control systems is an asset
- LEED Accredited Professional designation is an asset
- Experience with day lighting design and daylighting design software are an asset
- Experience giving technical presentations to industry professionals in English
- Fluency in English required (written and verbal), with the ability to present technical information to industry professionals
- Passion for architecture and lighting
- Strong design sensibilities and creativity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Accurate and detail oriented
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to proactively manage time and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong team player
- Follows direction is adaptable and values collaboration
- Eagerness to learn new skills sets, technologies, standards, etc.